Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Pilgrimage Road

On the island of Shikoku there are 88 famous sites. Pilgrims walk from temple to temple. They get these stamps that prove they've been there. You can spot of pilgrim because of there white clothes and big triangular straw hats. I asked if it was cheating if you drove from temple to temple and one of my students said they think so, but they don't know anyone who would do that. It takes about three months or so to walk to all of them I think I read somewhere. This one one of the first pilgrimage temples I visited. I don't remember the number of the name because we weren't specifically trying to go there. We just saw it on our way to another pilgrimage site and stopped. Why there was nothing particularly special about it each temple is unique in it's own way and I always stop and have a look when I can. I never get tired of looking at them.

Spring water. You wash your hands with it before you go pray at the temple. I liked this simple bamboo one.

The strips of paper is a religious thing, but I have not a clue what for. You see it everywhere. I should ask my Japanese teacher.
There is Markian at the bottom of the pathway, he's trying to see which way we're supposed to go to go to the temple we meant to go to. So, now we're about to make the pilgrimage home to America, although it's only temporary. I'm excited, but dreading the long flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.