Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thailand: Fighting Boredom

Above: Just a random thing I took a picture of in Chiang Mai. So we had to kill a little time in Chiang Mai after we we temple viewing and had lunch because in a few hours we had to catch a super long night train back to Bangkok in order to catch a flight from Bangkok to Krabi in the south of Thailand. I decided I wanted a $6 hour long foot massage. Below is Markian's legs. His feet were being soaked in flower water and then scrubbed with a lime before the massage began. It was fantastic! Especially after walking around all day.

Here is the train. From the outside it looked super skanky. The inside was okay, just really old. I'm used to nice, newer, clean Japanese trains, so I found it quite dissapointing. Oh well, it was really cheap. We saved a lot of money doing this and also didn't have to worry about a hotel for the night. We got the 1st class private cabin, althought it didn't look like what I'm imagined 1st class to be.
The seat transforms into a bunk bead at night. We ate on board because we forgot to bring something. I was scared at what the train food might be like, but it was actually quite good. Expensive for Thailand, about $5, but hey it was convienent and I got a veggie meal. Markian's beer cost as much as the meal. It's like 30 cents at the grocery story, but they charged a lot on the train and he didn't know that when he ordered it. Singha is the famous Thai beer. It's very expensive in Japan, so he had it a lot in Thailand. It didn't cost much more than water usually.

Then I got REALLY bored. The ride was 16 hours or so. I'd already sat around for about 6 or so and was restless and wanted to sleep, but they hadn't made our beds yet. So I took pictures of my boredom.
The train slowed down as the sun came up and we started to arrive on the outskirts of Bangkok. It looked so dirty and poor. The train was moving so slow! Would we ever get there?

Finally, we did and I enjoyed a gingerale at the airport. I liked the can; it was pretty. Then we flew to Krabi and the second line of boredom began. We took a taxi from the Airport to our hotel on the island of Koh Lanta, which took almost 2 hours and we had to ride on 2 ferries!
Above: Waiting to get on a ferry. Below, bored Markian. How much further is it? I'm glad we didn't take the shuttle van, because we took one of those to leave here and I got so car sick. Taxi is the way to go. Double the price, but not so claustrophic.

No comments: