Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thailand: Wat Chiang Man (The oldest temple in Chiang Mai)

This was the last of the Wats we visited in Chiang Mai. It is the oldest in the city and was built 700 years ago by the founder of Chiang Mai. It's a small temple, but the chedi is really old and still and good shape to be so old. Above is the main hall. Below you can see a stray dog taking a nap in the shade of the temple. Stray dogs and cats, but especially dogs are EVERYWHERE in what seemed to be many parts of Thailand. It seems to be a big problem. This dog did have a collar on though, so maybe he belonged to someone at the temple. There were plenty that didn't have collars on though, and about 20 minutes later on the other side of the building we witnessed a pretty vicious dog fight between 4 or 5 dogs. I stayed far away.

Inside the main hall. It was very busy with design and decorated.

Me standing where you can see all the buildings at once. I was hot as I'd worn too many clothes. I didn't want to look like a skanky tourist though. I mean this is a place of worship and Thai people are very conservative. There were even signs in some temples not to wear shorts or tank tops..etc..., but I saw lots of badly dressed tourists anyway.

Here is the chedi, the main attraction. So old and so beautiful. I was wondering if the discoloration of the stone is from pollution or just age. I loved the elephants! So fantastic. I took many pictures (I didn't even include them all here!) and must have looked at this thing for 20-30 minutes before moving on. This temple was a little out of the way, but I'm glad we made it here. There was no one else here besides monks and stray dogs and it was Christmas Day. Very quite and beautiful.

The old staircases. Of course it's old and you can't climb it now, but I love the carvings. I especially love the green eye.

There were some strings or cords or something I guess to make sure the structure holds together since it's so old, as it was built in the 13th century.


I love the wrinkles that are carved but look drawn onto the elephant's ears.

I posed infront of the chedi.

Behind it there was a wall with a bunch of Thai on it. It amused me so I took a picture. It reminded me of all the walls like this we'd seen in Germany with all the graffiti.
There is the whole thing from a distance. I think it's so beautiful.
Okay, here are some of my favorite pictures from Thailand. Anyone who knows me at all knows I love cats. Here is a stray that was very friendly that posed for me as I took pictures of it with the statue.

Isn't he/she a beautiful cat? Look at those eyes. So beautiful and such a sweet cat. I wanted to take it home with me!!! I really hope it found a good home. It was ultafriendly, but looked super skinny. I didn't have anything to give it, which made me sad. I petted it for a while. At least it got some attention.

It reminds me of my sisters old cat "Puddy Wuddy" (dumbest name for a cat--I didn't do it) that ran away because it had similar eyes.

No comments: