Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thailand: Wat Chedi Luang (My favorite temple)

I just took a picture of the street just to show people what it looked like here. This is around the area where I stopped at the internet cafe to call my parents and wish them Merry Christmas. Below is a random cat shrine that we ran into that looked cool.

Okay here is Wat Chedi Luang. This place was built in 1391, but most of it was destroyed in an earthquake in 1545. I used to be 282 feet tall and house the Emerald Buddha. Below you can see what's left and it's still really impressive. I can only imagine what it looked like before the quake. It's about the tallest structure in the old part of Chiang Mai city. I think it's very beautiful. The fact that it's in ruins in some ways makes it more so. You can see kinda how big it is, by seeing me standing in front of it.

There is a large staircase that of course you can't walk up now. It's in ruins and it all blocked off. The base of the staircase is flanked by a pair of naga, or water serphants. They look pretty fieresome.

"Roar! I will eat you!" bellows the Naga.
There were a bunch of small statues covered in gold leaf sitting out on a table. I don't know why. Seemed random.
We posed with the Naga.



You can see the Buddha above in the little niche. I loved this place. You can tell by how many photos I took.
The building above is much, much newer, but I love the tiles and the blue tones.
Look at the elephants! Apparently they used to go all the way around the sides. They are part of the structural support. I bet it was really impressive to see them all before the quake.
I loved the elephants, especially after my wonderful experience at the elephant camp. They are such magnificent creatures.


This guy is peddling a bike with a shop built into it. How awesome it that? Fresh fruit that's mobile!

No comments: