Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thailand: Chiang Mai Night Safari

Okay, my pictures from here aren't so great. It was nice after all. Our hotel that night (the awesome cave one in the previous post) had a free shuttle to the night safari. This place is really new, and is mean to draw in more tourists to Chiang Mai because it's a city without a big nightlife scene. We decided to go and I enjoyed it, though it sucked in comparison with our stay at the elephant camp the next day. There are two trams you can ride on that drive you around dangerous animals that are separated from you by big trenches. It's pretty cool because you can get closer than you ever could in a zoo and there is no cage. But it was dark and we were moving, so that's why my pictures suck. I've included this blurry picture of a tiger just to show you how close we got.
There is a light show which I found kinda lame. We had time to kill before our ride came back to pick us up, so we watched it anyway.


There also is an area you can walk around in at night and see animals. There were capybara, which are one of my favorite animals. I've never seen them that active before. It was because I'd never seen them at night until then. Below is an anteater, which I'd never seen that close. They look really freaky! They are bigger than I thought as well.
There were Christmas decorations, which was a little strange. I mean we have them in Japan too, but they make no sense. Like hearts and ships and castles and stuff. These were actually correct. And they were playing Christmas music!


The best part was a cheesy tourist thing where you could pay about $5 to hold a baby tiger or jaguar. It was over in about 15 seconds. It growled really scarily until they gave it the bottle. That's why I look scared. I didn't trust it! When they took it away it also made scary nosies. It was really heavy as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I like the giant man eating kitty!

-Panda