Friday, February 27, 2009

Thailand: Wat Phrah Singh on Christmas Day

On Christmas Eve we left the elephant camp and came back into the city of Chiang Mai and stayed at a really nice hotel. The room was huge and had a bathtub, a shower, and a huge pool outside. We were so tired though. I took a bath and then we just enjoying some television and walked across the street for some fantastic green curry that cost me about 60 cents. It had real fresh green peppery things, which turned out to be the black pepper pods that just were fresh! Crazy, peppery goodness! Before dinner, while we were looking for a place to eat, we also saw the largest rat on the street I've ever seen! It ran out in front of us and then somehow crawled into a sewer grate. I thought it was a cat at first it was so big! Gross...but not surprising. It managed not to ruin my dinner, since it wasn't sited at dinner.

Christmas morning we enjoyed our free breakfast at the hotel and then went on a day long temple site-seeing tour.

We took a Tuk-tuk, these loud motorcycle taxis with a small thing attached to the back where a couple people can sit. They are loud and incredibly dangerous looking. The driver will also try to rip you off. You have to negotiate a price beforehand. We had instances where the driver and I agreed on a price and then changed it when we got to our destination!!! It was quite annoying.
This is a really famous Wat in Chiang Mai, Wat Phrah Singh. I was just trying to hit the best of the city since we only had one day. We had to catch a night train back to Bangkok that evening.
I really like this view. There are so many parts of the complex that can be seen at once. Too bad all those other people are in the shot.



This building was beautifully decorated inside. The paintings inside were so old, but some of the design could still be seen. Above is one of the golden shutters on the windows.

My favorite part of this temple was this statue. It just seemed to have so much personality, and stood out from everything else around. I love it's eyes and it's broken tongue. Markian made friends with it as you can see above.

The statue above is quite creepy and looks a bit evil with those round, bulging eyes. It was my second favorite.
So shiny and decorative and busy. I love it!

These are from the inside of another building. I don't know what that silver tree shaped item represents, but asthetically I like it. Mostly, because it's shiny.




There was a much smaller reclining budda inside the building above. It wasn't that amusing after seeing the giant and richer one in Bangkok.

You could pay money to wheel something up to the top of that chedi. I don't know what or why. People were hawking stuff everywhere and I was just trying to stay away. Some woman tried to sell us a bird in a cage. I think you buy it and then free it. It bothered me.
Above: Young monks at the temple complex.
Below: Another awesome statue, but not quite as awesome as the old simple one. Why mess with success?

Above: The hall inside the newest building. There were some people praying, but many Thai people were taking pictures, so I figured it was okay.

No comments: