Monday, December 3, 2007

Angela Aki, Live in Concert

Alright, first off I didn't take this picture. There are no photos allowed at Japanese concerts, so I found this on the web just to show you what our concert looked like. So, the show was tonight. It was really good, but strange for us. The concert hall was very close by and easy to find, so that wasn't a problem. The venue was full and we were on the fifteenth row center stage. She sounded great. She has such a beautiful voice. My favorite live performance was "Kiss Me Goodbye" but I also really enjoyed, "Sakura-Iro" (in English is means "cherry blossom color) and "On & On" as well, because they are some of my favorite songs which I always sing when we go to Karaoke. The band that played with her was cool too. I liked the guitarist. Markian really liked the lighting affects.

The strange thing about it was that it was the most talking I'd ever heard at a concert, and I couldn't understand much of it at all! I was proud for what little I could decipher, but I was mostly lost. I have improved my Japanese language skills greatly though in the past couple of months thanks to my new Japanese teacher. Angela covered The Police's "Every Breathe You Take" . She gave this English lesson to the crowd on what the words meant, which even though I couldn't understand everything I found quite humorous. Angela Aki's father is the president of Aeon, possibilly the biggest language school in Japan now that NOVA has gone under. I guess I haven't spoken much about that. If you didn't know, F.Y.I, the largest English teaching company in Japan was shut down by the government for selling contracts they couldn't fulfill. There are thousands of unemployed English teachers and it's quite a mess and this happened a couple months ago. Anyway...Angela speaks English not only because of that, but she's half American, so she's bilingual.

After the show we tried to meet her. It didn't work out so well. I found some girls waiting for her. They spoke a little English and I tried to ask them a couple questions with a mixture of broken English and Japanese. We did find the band and waved goodbye to them in their black van with darkly tinted windows. She must have snuck out somehow before we got to the door. It was kinda disappointing because we were so close, yet so far.

The one difference I noticed about concerts in Japan is there are no opening acts. What you came for is what you get. Some people may not like that, but I love it. Usually (not always, but the majority of the time) the opening act blows. This way I don't have to suffer through it, and the concert ends at a reasonable hour so I'm not a zombie for work tomorrow. Granted it's almost one in the morning and I'm still up writing this anyway because my mind is really active. Oh well....


So yeah, we had a great time at the concert. I'm really glad I got up early three months ago and stood there for hours to get those tickets. It was well worth it! I can't wait to go home and use try out some of her pieces on piano for myself! I miss my piano!

No comments: