Thursday, December 6, 2007

Himeji Castle, Part 1

Long time, no post, I know. So, still not internet at home, but I brought my laptop to work today, and it's a slow week, thankfully, so I'm posting from my backlog of pictures today (Dec. 18th--the date may show up wrong on the post because I started it earlier, but didn't finish it). Anyway, this is from our August trip to the Kansai region. Himeji Castle is famous not only because it wasn't destroyed by war or fire like most Japanese castles, but also for it's incredible size. The castle itself is huge and so is the complex within the walls. It's usually considered the number one castle in Japan.

Above: Tourist shops outside the castle walls, since Himeji is a big attraction for both Japanese and foreign tourists.

Below: The bridge to cross the castle moat to enter within the castle walls.

The next few shots are of me on the bridge with the castle as a backdrop. Markian took a bunch of them for me.



In these two pictures may you can tell how hot it was. We've both kinda got a look like, "Ok, hurry up and take the picture already!"


Above: The large castle gates were quite impressive.

Below: A close of the detail....hmmmm....that looks strangely familiar...what a suggestive door...
Below: Markian REALLY liked the castle doors! And no, he's not carrying a man-purse...I made him carry my bag with the water in it and the maps.

Now we're finally within the castle walls. I don't know what that rock says below, but people were waiting to get their picture taken in front of it so I did too..haha...I didn't wanna feel left out.

The view of Himeji before starting the long approach up the hill. It's so pretty and white!


Above: The first gate inside the moat where you go after you've purchased your ticket.

Below: Me and the gate.



Above: Markian posing in front of one of many, huge, stone walls. We wondered what kind of poor people had to drag all these huge stones up here.

These holes in the wall are part of the castle defenses. People could shoot arrows through the holes at people down below. There were SO MANY of these things! The castle has lots of traps and things to help it defend itself from outside invaders. It must have worked because the castle is still standing today! The castle complex that survives today is the from the last construction in 1609.

Above: What those little holes for shooting arrows look like from further away.

Below: An awesome shot of the castle. Isn't it beautiful? I'd love to come here during Cherry Blossom Season.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zoinks! Shaggy... I mean Markian, did you lose Scooby Doo in the castle?
Love,
Erica

Courtney said...

Ha ha...it took me a moment to figure out what you meant. :)