Friday, April 25, 2008

The crazy drug trip cave at Ishite-Ji, Temple #51

Words or pictures can not describe the pictures I'm about to attempt to describe in words and pictures anyway. This place was one of the weirdest places I've ever been, and also one of the best. The above picture is of some statues at the entrance-way to the cave. The bottom picture is the entrance into the cave itself. This cave was REALLY dark. Most of the lights had burnt out and it was VERY narrow and it had been raining the day before so it was a little wet in there as well. I peered in and wasn't sure if this was a good idea. I had flip flops on because it was so hot outside. Not Kyoto hot though!

The first part of the cave consisted of this long pitch dark tunnel. I had to keep taking pictures to use the flash to see where I was going! I was really creeped out because outside the cave I had seen these HUGE spiders everywhere. I was very afraid that one might crawl on my foot. If I was a spider I would love to live in this cool, damp cave. Below I'm nervously smiling. I want to turn back, but Markian tells me to keep going.

There was a light above this budda that would flicker off and on. I finally got a picture when the light was on. In the picture below the cave was SO dark I couldn't even see my hand in front of me. I didn't even know what I was looking at till the next day when I looked at the pictures on my camera. It was that dark.


We bravely kept following the trail of budda's to the other side of god knows what. My guide book only described this place as a crazy drug trip, and I thought that was a little strange description of a temple, so I decided to go there. The book was totally accurate, or as close as I could guess as I've never actually been on a real drug trip. And no, I have no idea what the picture is of below. I couldn't see it when I was in there because it was so dark.



Above: Markian making scary faces to freak me out. I can't see him except when I use the camera to make the flash to see where I'm going. He looks stupid there, but it freaked me out when I took the picture. Again, pictures can not capture this place at all.
So yeah, in the next post I will show you the other side. You'll have to wait and see to see what we saw! It was actually even scarier on the other side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you rub the happy Buddha's belly? Really weird place, looks cool.

-Panda Bear Jess

Courtney said...

No, but I did last week in Kamakura (near Tokyo) at a very happy Buddha! Everyone else was, so I waited in line and did too! haha. Yeah, that place was so weird, but totally awesome.