Friday, May 23, 2008

Driving on the coast of Shikoku

Back in September, we rented a car and drove from Matsuyama down the coast of Shikoku on our way to a cape which is the southern most point of Shikoku. I was very excited to be in a car. Markian drove. I took a bunch of lame picture as we were leaving the city to show I was in a car. So that's why these are kinda random.
A Tunnel! Yes, there are many tunnels EVERYWHERE. Since japan is made up of a lot of mountains you go through plenty of them. I love tunnels!

Traffic was kinda sucking. It took a while to get out of the suburban area.

Markian's driving our Mazda (which come from Hiroshima by the way), and you can see a Honda shop in the background! He was brave to drive on the left side of the road. I sure wasn't going to try it. The roads are really narrow too. Wait till a later post where we're out in the countryside.
Then we stopped for Mos Burger! I love Mos Burger! Had some shakes and chicken nuggets. Cheap and quick!
Back on the road again. Finally out of the city and to the coast.

Isn't it pretty? It reminds me of the oregon coastline. We pulled over and walked along the rocks. Markian (below) is looking for tide pools, cause I told him to, but there really weren't any cool ones.


It was a nice day. Breezy, but it sprinkled off and on. It was a little cooler here than Hiroshima which was still hot at this point in September.

I was so happy to see the actual ocean and not the sea (Hiroshima is on the sea). Having a car was so nice. We could come and go as we pleased, and spend as much time as we want in an area and not worry about missing the last train or the last bus or getting stuck somewhere for 2 hours when there is infrequent public transport (like this area). I really liked Shikoku!

No comments: