Monday, July 7, 2008

The Fertility Shrine, Taga-Jinja

First off, if you're prude and offended by fertility figures stop reading now. I had debated whether or not to post some of these photos because of certain people who read this blog, but then I thought people could get over it. We went to a fertility Shrine in Uwajima. Above is a huge cemetery that we passed before we got there. Below you can see the entrance to the fertility shrine.

The guardian statue looks like he's laughing and covering his mouth. That's what all the old people that were lurking around were doing. This place had tons of old people and they were laughing and pointing at everything. It only made me laugh harder. This stuff was pretty prude though compared to what was inside the building next door. There was a giant sex museum with fertility figures and a history of sexual things from really early on to the present from around the world. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in there unless I paid $20 or something for a photo permit, so you'll have to do with what I took outside at the shrine.


We ran into a young couple who wanted their picture taken with the giant wooden phallus. Since I took their picture, they took ours in return. I felt all awkward and our picture kinda shows that. haha




Then we decided to be stupid and take dumb photos with it. I mean how often is it you get to see a giant wooden phallus? It was hard for me to stop laughing long enough for the picture to be taken. The old ladies were watching us. They wanted their picture taken too. They kept laughing and pointing at everything.

Look it's a fox! Inari!





So yeah that's the fertility shrine. It was very amusing. I haven't seen anything like it elsewhere. Below are flowers I saw outside of the shrine when leaving. I like purple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try out the Haeshindanggongwon a.k.a Penis park on south koreas east coast. Theres more penises than you can shake a... erm.. stick at