Saturday, July 5, 2008

Warei-jinja

This was in a small town we drove to on the island of Shikoku called Uwajima. Above is the approach to the shrine while crossing a big stone bridge. Below you can see Markian.

Yeah, it's a horse.

Isn't he sweet?


I love moss as you can tell. I am compelled to take pictures of anything with moss on it.

Spiders, spiders. Big ones at that the picture doesn't do it justice. I was afraid the one below would jump on me since it's one of the huge suckers that doesn't build a web. I have no idea what type of spider it is, but it was big and hairy. Please click on the picture for more detail.

More temple stuff.

The fortunes that were tied above. Below, more fantastic moss.

Above: ONI!!!
Below: Me with the tori gate and the pretty mountains in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dragon/lion thing is cool. But I could do without those creepy spiders! They're scary!

-Panda Bear Jess

Courtney said...

Yeah, I'd never seen spiders like that really except for in a zoo, which freaked me out. I asked about it when we got back to Hiroshima and they said it was spider season (September) and that was why.