Friday, August 29, 2008

Train Station Boredom--Awesome Ads

In December we took a 2 week trip to the island of Kyushu. It is the island to the west of here, and is much warmer. We rode slow trains on a cheap ticket of unlimited rides for 5 days (Seishun 18 Kippu is the ticket name). We used that to travel to big cities and to get us to the island. After we got there we rented a car. The ticket lets you ride on local trains which aren't the best for long distances; it takes so long. However, if you're not in a hurry you can stop a lot and see many things in many places for a cheap price. The bad news is that trains in some areas don't run so frequently and you may get stuck at a train station in the middle of nowhere for a few hours trying to make a connection. Thus, that is what happened here. While Markian was playing with his new purchase, a Nintendo DS, I walked around the platform taking pictures for the heck of it.

These many posters you see are around Hiroshima as well, but always on the train and I'm way to embarrassed to take pictures of them then. I hate looking like a tourist and people look at me like I'm crazy. It was December and cold, so the train station has this little room on the platform that is heated or air conditioned depending on the season. Those posters that I love so much on the train were in there so I took pictures of all of them. They are quite amusing. See for yourself.

Above: This is an advertisement for "Space World". An amusement park in Kyushu. There characters look horrifyingly awesome. I would like to go here. My students are always talking about it. Markian hates roller coasters though so I doubt I will ever get a chance to go. Riding by yourself isn't any fun!





Above: The sign at the station we were stuck at so long. Below me in the middle of nowhere stuck in the cold at the train station and it's starting to get dark. There is nothing here!!! Look behind me!


Above: Markian playing the DS as I'd described earlier. I have one too, but I was too cold to be playing it at that point.

No comments: