Monday, November 3, 2008

Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom!

Okay it doesn't look so amusing in the picture above, but there are many little strange dome-like buildings and this is Aso Farmland where I went to the petting zoo.

There were many little shops were you could buy things that are made from veggies and fruit, and milk that are produced on the "farm." This is the strawberry place and I had some awesome strawberry cake here. I also bought some strawberry mochi. We also sampled many cheeses in the dairy area. Cheese in Japan usually blows, but this was actually good cheese! We were shocked! We bought a block and a loaf of fresh baked sourdough bread and sat in the parking lot in the car and had lunch. It was great!
I LOVE mushrooms! Japan has so many good ones, and really cheap too. I'd never seen them growing like this though so I thought it was so cool. It was really cold and damp in this building of course. Look at all the mushrooms growing in the pots! The prices were good too.

The one above, I love grilled. It's fantastic! The one below is great on Pizza or in soup.




Above, shitake I think, or at least that's what it looks like. Fantastic grilled as yakitori with some grated daikon on top.
What's a farm without a cow? There were lots of these big things in the parking lot. Farmland was fantastic, and I don't even like farms! I hope to go back someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...while I like to eat mushrooms and think they're cool. Whenever I see them actually -growing- they freak me out. Such a strange quirk I have. I'll like walk up to it if one's in the yard like "Oh this is cool," then get freaked out and run away. I could not handle that place!

-Jess (Panda Bear)

Courtney said...

Haha! That's pretty funny! I would like to see that!
I get really excited when I see them growing naturally. I usually take lots of pictures and everyone thinks I'm a weirdo!