Sunday, June 3, 2007

My Toukasan



It's 3:31 AM. Still wide awake. I guess we've been home for about thirty or fourty-five minutes. We went to the Toukasan festival. A friend at work helped me put on my Yukata and even did my hair and makeup for me! It was very nice of her. The yukata was way too big, but we made it work anyway. Usually you use a towel to thicken your waist if your waist is really small. We didn't have one so we ripped up an apron instead. hehe You wouldn't believe how complicated it is to put on one of these things! I don't even wanna know how complicated a full fledged kimono is!

So I've posted lots of pictures of me in my yukata. It is purple with morning glories and sparkly fireworks on it. Markian didn't dress up. It made me sad. We ran into another teacher from our school who was wearing one. He said his student brought it to class and put it on him and forced him to wear it! haha He had tennis shoes on with it though which made it kinda funny. You couldn't tell in the mass of people though. We didn't wait in line to get the fans from the temple (to ward off evil spirits), but we may go back tomorrow. I doubt in my yukata though because there is no way I can put this thing on right by myself. It's seriously way too complicated!

So tonight was lots of fun. There were so many people strolling the streets in their yukata. It was very, very crowded. We just looked around mostly at the things that were being served, expensive beer, squid on a stick, takayaki..etc... and then decided we were starving. Our friend took us to a really nice Japanese Isakaya. I've been to Isakaya's before, but never one this nice. It was kinda pricey, but well worth it. It was really fancy and reminiscent of a scene from Kill Bill Volume 1. I don't like that movie, but the floor in this place was freaking sweet. I have picture of it coming later. So I was the only one in our group dressed up but it was still fun. It was nice to actually social with other people. Not that Markian isn't good company, because he is. But he's mentioned the same thing before. I think we both really enjoyed our night out!







2 comments:

demon_llama said...

very nice. i didn't know they used towels to "thicken" their waste, i assumed just g etting into those was hard enough. love the colors though. shame you couldn't get markian into somthing. maybe next time. fans? do tell. i would love to hear more about them. local customs sound so interesting.

Courtney said...

Yeah, I really liked the color of this one. I can't believe it was that cheap! If I find one that I like that fits me better, I might hand this over to my mom when I go home. It's here favorite color. Yeah, I know I wish Markian would have worn one. We found one he liked but it was $250 bucks! He wouldn't wear the $20 dollar I found! Yeah, I have a fan, but I didn't bring it. They were selling fans at the festival...special ones at the Toukasan temple to ward off evil spirits, but the line was way too long. They had red and black on them.