Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kimono Fashion Show


During our most recent trip to Kyoto in August we went to Nishijin, which is the textile district. There is a textile museum there that has a free kimono fashion show about four times a day. We got there in time to see the last show of the day. Ladies walked down the runway wearing various styles of kimonos. The one you see above was very tacky and shiny like a garbage bag; I wasn't feeling it.
Above you see a style which I see many older ladies walking around in.




These are the cool ones, with the really long sleeves. These are brightly colored and are for young, unmarried women. I hope to purchase one similar to this before I leave Japan. They are insanely expensive though. We're talking thousands and thousands of dollars for the obi and the different layers. I'm trying to save up my money!


If you haven't noticed by now there are many ways to tie an obi.



I like this one two. It's another for young unmarried women with bright colors and long sleeves. However, I don't like how high the obi bow is placed.

Here they are all together. Very pretty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they are all beautiful!! Please try to find me a cheap one!!

Love,
Mom

Courtney said...

Mom,

I don't even have one of these! I have three yukata (summer kimono). I can't afford a real one. These ones pictured cost from 3,000 to 10,000 dollars and upwards . A cheap one would be a thousand bucks! If you come visit me, we may be able to find one for a few hundred bucks in a used shop in Kyoto. However, you must buy the obi, and the bottom layer, shoes, socks...etc...It ads up really fast! I think you want a yukata, and not a kimono! Yukata cost from $40 to $300. They have stopped selling them for the year though, because the season is over.