Saturday, January 3, 2009

Burial Mounds

We left Takachiho and headed into Miyazaki Prefecture. The road took us down the coast by the ocean past the palm trees. It was really beautiful, though it didn't seem like Japan so much.

We finally made it to the Saitobara burial mounds. But, we were a little too late. It was getting dark and we only had about 15 minutes before it got completely dark. There were no lights around here and the place was dead. It's not a big hit with the Japanese tourists because they aren't so interested in this prehistory as they really don't connect it directly with Japanese culture today. For me, the older the better, so I really wanted to go here. I was glad to see what I saw even, if I only got to see it before 15 minutes when it became really dark and a little creepy.




Many people still farm around here. Like it said, it was weird like no one else cared. There were so many though. As far as you could see. I really wish we would have had more time here.

Above: The view from the top of a mound.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I want to see elephant pics!!! - Love you, Mom

Courtney said...

Burial mounds not good enough for you? *joke* Alright, I'm on it. I haven't downloaded any Thailand pics yet. But, I have a CD from the elephant camp. I'll check it out and put some up.