Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thailand: Getting on an Elephant

So, after the show, they took us to an area where some of the elephants are kept during the day and there is a big open pasture area. We got some water and cleaned our hands off. They were really good about keeping us hydrated here! We got a little booklet with commands in Thai (you can see it sticking out of our shirt pockets above) for the elephants to tell them to stop, go, turn left, turn right, lie down...etc. At the point all I could remember was Stop and turn (in no particular direction), which was good enough for me. Stop is the most important word I think...

To get on, there are two ways. The easiest way is to tell the elephant to lie down and then climb up, which if it's a big elephant, is still a long ways up. The first time I got on the big adult elephant, she didn't lie down and she only bent her leg and I had to crawl up it. That was super difficult! They had to give me a push, or I never would have made it.
Markian was the first one to brave it. They were so big and as much as I wanted to do it, I was scared. I have height issues sometimes. So I made him go first. He looked pretty confident up there, which made me feel better although I don't think he felt so confident.
I was content just to walk and watch him ride at first. He seemed so high above the ground. But then they said I could ride the "baby". The baby was about 4 years old. So not full grown. Still looked huge to me... Scary enough. The adults you ride on their neck, but the baby you have to ride further back on it's spine and it's a much bumpier ride and there is less to hold onto. You just kinda have to lean back and lock you legs. I really didn't figure the leaning back thing out until the next day. Here I am below, nervously riding the baby elephant.

I have to say, she did listen to me. When I rode the adult later, he didn't listen so much and just did whatever he felt like. If I said stop the baby stopped, so I liked her. But yeah it was super bumped and I felt like I was going to be thrown off at first til I got used to it. You feel so high up. Almost like you're flying or something. Isn't she so cute?
Then we swapped and Markian rode the baby and I rode the adult. The adult wasn't as scary as to feeling so unstable and more comfortable, but yeah it didn't listen to me at all. Markian said I wasn't firm enough. It was even more high up which was really crazy. Oh and the big one is Ma Pen....I think was it's name. Crap, I can't remember. I will have to look in my stuff later. It was the one we road to the jungle each time. I rode the baby more than Markian though. This was the only time he rode it.

The elephants skin is very rough and the younger ones are really bristly. I scratched myself getting off the elephant. Oh and getting off of the elephant sucks let me tell you. Even if they lay down, you still are high up and they don't want to lay down for long so you have to hurry and get off. That was the scariest part for me.

The mahout trainers were awesome! Some of the nicest people I've ever met. Everyone there was very friendly.
I love this picture! I didn't realize the elephants were even posing when we were on them! Loads more elephant camp to come! Next we (well Markian cause I am a chicken) bathe the elephants.

No comments: