Friday, January 30, 2009

Thailand: Markian washed an elephant...yes, he did, really...

So after learning and still learning how to get on and off and stop and go, we ride down by the river because it's time for the elephants to take their bath. I didn't want to get in the water because I was afraid of freshwater parasites that you can get by going in freshwater in Asia. They go in through your skin. Yes, I'm paranoid, but parasites are nasty. Also it was the morning and the water had to be cold. Originally Markian was the one not wanting to go. However, once we got down there he wanted to do it and I backed out. Getting off the elephant was difficult. Markian got off first and then the elephant got back up. They had to make it lie back down again so I could get off. Below they're trying to get me to tell it to lie down.

So the above picture I took, but the ones the guys in the water took were better so I mostly posted those which are what you see below. The guys below are who went went into the jungle with later. More about that later although I don't have any pictures from it.

Markian said the water was as cold as I though and well, the elephant pooped in the water too. Lovely.

They don't seem as big when they're lying down.
He's making sure he gets her squeaky clean!
The Mahouts must wash their elephants every day. The elephants seem to enjoy their bath.
Yeah, strangely enough he enjoyed this or at least seemed to even if he won't admit it and this is what he didn't want to do. Well, he thought I was crazy for wanting to do this program at all, but I proved him wrong there too. Good times.

No comments: