Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thailand: The Baby Elephant

There was a baby that was only 22 days old at the camp. So, so cute! Really, really hairy though. The younger they are, the more of that coarse wiry hair they seem to have. Later after all the tourist had left the camp. One of the mahouts showed us around. The baby was friendly and came right up to me, which he hadn't done earlier in the day. The pictures shown first are from later in the day.

So cute! These elephants can't go back to the jungle at night like the others. The elephants with tusks can't go either as there are bad people that will kill them for their tusks. The others go back every day at about 3 PM and then come back at 7 AM. The Mahouts ride them into the jungle about 2 hours. We rode 1 hour of it and it's slow going and up steep rocky cliffs. Beautiful though. I will never forget early the next morning as we rode back from the jungle after walking to pick up our elephant. The mist was all over the rice fields and it was so quiet except for the chickens. I really wish I'd had my camera, but seeing as I was afraid of letting go to take a photo, I guess it was wise I didn't take it. What a wonderful experience.



This is more of the camp after close. The buildings you see below are where some of the local people who work in the camp live.

No comments: