Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sea Cave

So we kept following the path away from the lighthouse. Finally we could see a tori gate which meant there was a shrine up ahead. However, the path through the tori gate ended and we had to climb off the hill.

We ended up next to the sea where there was a huge pile of stones. They were wobbly and hard to walk on. There were some gross little bugs running around on them too. Below is the view up to the tori from down by the rocks.

So I was really happy to see the sea cave because I didn't know it was there. It wasn't listed in my guide book of the place. We just decided to follow the path and see what happened cause we couldn't read the signs. Markian took a picture from me from up the steps of a deck on an old building there so you could get the full scale of how big it was.

Again, the rocks were really slick. It was nice though, there was only two other people there, like the rest of this part of Shikoku it's pretty unpopulated. Below are some sea snails on the rock I was standing on.






Markian decided to brave it further out towards the sea onto the rocks. I was finding it difficult to get anywhere because the trends on my tennis shoes are pretty much worn off and I was sliding everywhere.


At sacred shrine spots, you often see rocks stacked like these. I don't know why, but you see it and it looks cool. I have a really awesome picture to post later, of a place in Kyushu where there has to be thousands of these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

courtney,
love the seacave pictures - it looks so much like the Oregon and Washington state coast - makes me want to go back there -love, mom