Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ginkakuji (The Silver Pavilion) Part 1

This is from our August trip to Kyoto during the hottest and possibly most busy time to travel, Obon week. Ginkakuji is also known as the Silver Pavilion. Below you see the entrance way which is crowded with several people. This temple is one of the most famous in Japan and is always crowded, according to my guidebooks. However, this doesn't take away from the beauty of this temple.
The approach to the temple itself is really nice as you can see from these shots.

A small rock garden at the entrance way. I wonder how often they have to rake this. In the picture below you can see the moss behind the rock garden.

Above: Markian at Ginkakuji about to die from the grueling heat.

Above: Pretty sliding doors. Below: Yes, this is all gravel, including the huge pile. I thought it was solid till I got closer. I found this to be the most interesting part of the complex. You can see the grains a little better below. Click on the picture for detail.


I love this shot above with the main structure and the awesome rocks into one frame.

The garden leads around to the main structure again eventually. It was beautiful and there were many different types of moss. We saw salamanders and something ran from me that might have been a mongoose. I'm not sure, but it was awesome! Lots of creatures live in the garden!
I love rock bridges like these!

This picture lets you see how high the sand/gravel structure is. Pretty impressive! I have many more pictures from the other side of the temple complex to come!

No comments: