Monday, October 29, 2007

Orbs in Photos on Obon

These photos are in order as we walked to the obon festival in Nara. Obon week is a week in August when your dead ancestors return. This ceremony in Nara was the closing festival to send the ancestors back. I have more pictures from the actual festivities later, but this is the walk down there as it was getting dark. All the lanterns were lit and it was very beautiful, yet creepy. The forest in the dark reminded me of the creepy tree level on Mortal Kombat 2, the living forest, or whatever it was they called it.


Here you can see some lanterns up close. They had just covered the openings in the old stone lanterns with paper. They were very beautiful though.


Ok, here is the orbs I'm talking about that show up in photos sometimes. Some people say it's dust, some people say it's spirits. Markian of course thinks they're dust or itty bitty gnats or something cause he is the biggest skeptic in the world. I don't know what I think, but it was a clear night, and it's a little freaky that it was obon and all these were turning up in my pictures. I have more, but I posted the ones with the most in them. I don't know what they are, but they look kinda cool. It reminds me of all the fairies in zelda in the forest level on Zelda 64. So, yeah, living here sometimes kinda reminds me of a video game, but all of life reminds me of video games or cartoons somehow...haha
Below, here is a large modern lantern up close.

No comments: