Monday, October 1, 2007

Ueno Castle

In August during Obon week we made our way to the small ninja town of Iga Ueno in Kansai. This town is famous for a ninja clan that basically used to run the place. Here are pictures of the castle. It has been reconstructed, but it is done with a wood construction both inside and out to make it look close to the original. We didn't go in though because we were hot as hell due to the hot Kansai summer and were very tired and knew we would soon visit Himeji, the biggest, and most famous original castle in Japan. Basically our goal was to see the ninja museum. Did I mention how hot it was? Words can't describe the unbearable heat. Although it was way better here than it was in Kyoto. Kyoto was way worse than a Memphis summer, and I thought it couldn't get any worse than that! Below you see the moat around the castle. Hmmm...remind me not to travel to this area of the country again in August....I didn't heed my students warnings!
We were really out in the countryside. The trains here were very infrequent running once and hour at the most. It was very pretty though. We did miss a connection due to lack of romanji signs in the boonies and got stuck in the middle of no where in the heat at a train station for an hour! You ninjas better be glad you're so freaking sweet, that's all I have to say! I would do it all for the ninja (ninja pics coming soon)! If I didn't do it, the ninja would kick my mom in the face! Seriously, you really don't want to mess with those guys, the become a little unstable.

I don't know what this is above, but I could see it from the castle across the moat. Maybe a ninja spy hut? haha
Big, stone castle walls are always impressive! Even to a ninja!

And one last view of the castle before we left the town of the ninjas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Ueno castle. It was one of the most fun things I did while in Japan.