Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The biggest rice paddle EVER!


I seriously think I found it. This has to be a pretty freaking huge rice paddle, and I don't think I've ever seen one bigger. I challenge you to find a bigger rice paddle and a huge bowl of rice to use the rice paddle on. This picture was taken on Miyajima island. They are known for making really great rice paddles there . You can buy them there, but they're not this big! Apparently the rice doesn't stick to it, and it doesn't get the flavor of the wood in the rice. I didn't buy one, but I'm sure I'll be back to Miyajima again before I leave Japan. I'm planning on going in the fall to see all the beautiful leaves on the mountains.

The reason for lack of updates is that I'm actually working full-time now and am incredibly busy. I haven't had much sleep or food lately, as I'm trying to adjust to this new schedule. Many of my schools are very far out and I do a lot of traveling within a day. Since I'm afraid of being late and I don't know where I'm going, I have to leave extra early to make sure I get there. Teaching is going well though. So far the groups I've had have been really great, especially the kids. They're very well behaved and really try and want to learn. I couldn't ask for more. Mark seems to have good groups as well. I rarely see him though except for at night. I'm glad we have the same days off so we can spend time with each other then. I saw him in passing once at the school today, and that was it till he came home about 9:40 at night for dinner.

More details later, but for now, I'm extremely sleepy and want to go to bed cause it's midnight and I have three more long days ahead of me before Sunday. Markian needs to go to bed cause he has to catch a train early tomorrow and I know he'll just stay up till god knows when unless I say, "Hey, let's go to bed." and then complain about being tired tomorrow haha So goodnight everyone!

2 comments:

demon_llama said...

i'm just wondering about the giant that uses that rice paddle. ha haa haaa. sounds like you and markian have fallen into quite a routine, hope you can keep finding time to have fun. tell him i said "hi"...

Anonymous said...

hey Courtney, all I want to know is WHY??? Why would ANYONE need a rice paddle that big? I thought everything in Japan was small - what a waste of precious space! Love, Mom