Saturday, April 28, 2007

Itsukushima Shrine: Part 1




I have so many pictures they need to be in more than one post! The is the shrine on Miyajima that the big floating tori gate belongs to. It's the main attraction on the island. The shrine is actually on the sea. It's really pretty when the tide is high. It wasn't that high then, but not low either when we visited. The shrine is actually one of the few shinto shrines in Japan where you have to pay a small entrance fee to get in. Usually these are free and the temples are what cost money to enter. This was well worth the 2 or 3 bucks I spent to get in. It was really neat, and like nothing I'd ever seen before. The shrine is built basically on a big dock and it feels like you're walking out on the sea.

Work is keeping me crazy busy, but after today I'll have a week off for Golden Week! I'm very excited, and ready for this much needed break. Now I'm off to school to plan more lessons and then teach my classes today!









5 comments:

demon_llama said...

i love the bottom 2 photo's. wonderful shots. hopefully you're learning about shinto and it's wonderful clarity. what's "golden week?" good luck in classes. i need to stop reading your blog...

Courtney said...

haha, I'm glad at someone reads it! :-D Golden Week is a week of Japanese National holidays. For example, April 29th is Showa Day, May 3rd is Constitutional Memorial Day, May 4th is Greeny Day or Nature Day..etc... Schools are closed and many, many people are off work. Vacation prices triple (plane flights, hotels, etc.) because everyone is off. The trains are very crowded as well apparently because EVERYONE is traveling!

demon_llama said...

you switched the photo's, now it's the top 2 photo's that are my fav's. the 2 "long" shots of the shrine. and i enjoy reading about my friends who are getting to visit and live in ountries that i have dreamed for years of living in ever since i took japanese classes in cleveland 15 years ago...

Courtney said...

Yeah, there were actually more pictures there before, but because of my layout it chopped them off! I noticed it later. I seem to have done that a few times with my posts here. hmmm...Have to be careful about that next time!
What kind of Japanese class did you take? A general class on culture, or language or....? I need to start taking language lessons! :-)

demon_llama said...

1 year of language @ CCC in Parma (cleveland), but that was 15 odd years ago. my local has lots language classes (military town), but no japanese yet. i'm waiting though. ask markian about me some time, he'll tell you all kinds of stories about me i'm sure.

your pictures and stories are great. it's nice to read your adventures. tell markian to start a page, i'd love to read his take on japan.