Monday, April 16, 2007

What we teach


This picture is from a branch school that Markian teaches at. I observed a class here during training, but I don't teach out here. So, what we teach is different depending on who and where the class is. I'll run through a few examples. We are teaching English conversation, not the type of English class you had in middle school where you underlined the verb and circled the direct object...etc. It's basically the methods I learned in the CELTA (certificate in teaching English language to adults) course. We don't use the grammar terms if we can help it. We want the students to use the language as much as possible. The teacher needs to talk as little as possible, and the students talk as much as possible. English is the only language used in the classroom, as these classes are full immersion. Classes run from complete beginners to advanced students who are basically fluent, but maybe they have trouble with writing or just need to use English in order to not loose it.

The basic children's classes have five levels. I teach three beginner classes and I teach the children phonics. Some of the kids in the classes may know the alphabet, but they don't know phonics so they have to start at the bottom. I play games with them that get them to use the language. We teach phonics to the junior high schoolers too, the beginners anyway. Other than the phonics the adult classes are the same, activities that make them use the language, but they still have fun at the same time. Different activities work better for different groups. Private lessons are basically whatever the student wants. Some are working towards passing a test, while others need English to travel or give presentations...etc. I really enjoy it so far. My students are wonderful. The kids are so well behaved, and polite and motivated. The adults really want to be here, and even the beginners try, so so hard to speak and come up with the right words and ask questions. Oh and we also teach company classes. Markian teaches in the University because he has a master's degree and can do so. His university is really far away and he has to ride the bullet train (shinkansen) to get there!

2 comments:

demon_llama said...

interesting. glad you are having a wonderful time with your students. you seem to be learning as much as they are. any tips on good books to learn nihongo sensi?

Courtney said...

I used James Hesig's "Remembering the Kana" and it worked for me for the hiragana anyway. I haven't had time to make it to the katakana. I own his books on remembering the kanji, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I'm not sure how well they're work for me. The Japanese for busy people katakana workbook and tape is pretty good too after you've made it through Hesig's "Remembering the Kana." Have you tried any books yet? I'm so busy I haven't studied since I've been here!