Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Flight to Japan, March 2, 2007



This blog is about my life living and working in Japan. I'm making it so family and friends can know what's going on with me, and to share information I find interesting during my stay here.

On March 2, 2007 our journey began. It was probably the longest day ever. My boyfriend and I had gone to Japan almost exactly a year ago, but we had flown into Kansai airport. This time our destination was Hiroshima, Japan. From the US you can basically only fly into either Kansai (Osaka area) or Narita (Tokyo area). We flew into Narita and then had to change to a regional airport over an hour away called Haneda. Haneda used to the the major airport for Tokyo before Narita came along.

The flight was long and tiring, but not a bad one. We left Cleveland, Ohio after 11:00 PM due to bad weather in Chicago, this was over an hour later than expected. We finally arrived in Hiroshima at 9:00 PM on March 3rd. To you people that are considering visiting, I recommend flying either straight out of Narita or Kansai to Hiroshima if possible. While the airport change was easy, it just took up even more time and made the journey even longer.

The best thing about the flight (with the exception of free expensive liquors and such), well in my opinion anyway, I know Mark would disagree, is flying over Alaska. The view is incredible. I had no idea we would fly over it last year. This time I had my camera all read and was ready to wait my turn at the window to get some awesome pictures of the barren landscape. I have posted a few of the many pictures taken here. It was even more beautiful in person. I think Alaska would be somewhere I would like to see from the ground one day. However, I just don't know if you get the full effect of how far the barren landscape stretches if you're not up high in the air. I would like to see Alaskan wildlife though. That would be pretty sweet.

No comments: