Saturday, March 31, 2007

A brief apartment tour


Now that we're moved it (well sort of, we still don't have a fridge and washer and other little things), I though we'd shard some pictures of our living space. I haven't taken a picture of every room because our luggage is still spread everywhere and we're not done unpacking.


Above you see the tatami room that is Japanese style. This is our living room. Tatami are the mats on the floor. These mats are new and it smells like hay in here. Kind of strange, but I like this room. It's mostly where we've been hanging out so far. It's the room with some furniture in it as well, so yeah, it's where we'll mostly be. It connects to the dining room which is basically full of our junk right now cause we don't have a dining table yet. We can't quite afford it, but eventually I hope to have a table there. I don't like eating in the tatami room because if you spill something your screwed. The dining room floor is vinyl tile, so it'll wipe up easily. The apartment is much bigger than I imagined for Japan. Granted it's not cheap, but I don't think it's a bad price either. It's cheaper than a place this size in NYC or Chicago would cost.
Another picture is of our kitchen. It doesn't really have anything in it yet. We just got those burners put in, but I have no fridge to store the food in and no rice cooker til Sunday of next week, so it's not much good yet. I liked the kitchen in this apartment better than any others I had seen . I like the little countertop to set food on.

The bathroom is typical Japanese style. You walk in and have a sink and place for a washer. On the left is the showering/bathing area, Japanese style where you rinse off outside the tub in front of the mirror and then soak in the tub and get out again. I haven't had a chance to clean the tub yet, so no bath for me yet, just a shower. I just noticed you can see my leg in the mirror...haha. The toliet in a separate door to the right of the sink.
Other rooms not pictured are the dining area, the hallway to enter, and the bedroom which is kinda a mess at the moment of clothes which we have no drawers for. So far I really like the place. We're on a side street of the main street so it's pretty quite. There isn't much traffic down the street. Neighbors I've ran into seem friendly even though I don't know what to say to them. We're very close to school (10-15 minute walk, even shorter by bike), and very close to the Peace Park which is a nice place to walk around. Our place has an elevator which makes life easier and there is a security code to get in the place so just anyone can't walk in. I like our roomy apartment! Now if only I had a fridge and some cooking stuff!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, looks like a nice place. Glad you got somewhere you like and it's all coming together.

-Panda

MinhNga Nguyen said...

Your new apartment is nice, at least you have a table. I dont have any table or chair at all.. :( I plan to have just a table and cushions to sit on cuz im just to obsessed with japanese stuff

demon_llama said...

the appartment looks wonderful guys. a little smaller then ida & mine's first appartment. needs a live plant maybe (markian can tell you i'm into houseplants). look forward to more photo's...