Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lost little Nekko











Mark and I were walking back from another day of exploring on Sunday morning, and near the hotel in a little park area, this poor lost little cat was sitting on a rock. I stopped for a moment to look at him and he starting meowing at me and got up. He was very friendly and an old man stopped to pet him. I walked up to pet the cat too and the old man started talking to me at lightning speed. I think he was saying something about the cat being old and boney, from the way he was gesturing. However, the only word I could decipher out of the entire conversation was, "nekko", which means cat. So, even though I know random words, I'm still totally lost here when it comes to conversation. I'm looking forward to getting my permanent schedule so I can go sign up for free Japanese lessons at the international center. Being able to say more things would sure be a plus. I've gotten down basic things now, like ordering correctly at the Mos Burger, and being polite at the grocery store, and whatnot, but that's about it. I can read Hiragana, but without katakana and kanji, it's worthless most of the time.

The little kitty as far as I can tell followed the old man home. I hope he kept it. I was a nice friendly cat. I can't stand to see hungry, homeless animals on the street. I don't know what I would have done if it would have followed me home since I currently live in a hotel...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, black kitty like my Cosmo! I really hope the guy kept it. I try to take in every cat I see and get "You can't have every stray in the neighborhood!" hehe.

-Panda